L.A.W.N. Call For Participation
L.A.W.N. invites the community of Greene County to create a work of art in your front lawn for a county-wide public art exhibition. L.A.W.N. is a county-wide public art exhibition made for front lawns by community members located in the greater Springfield, Missouri area.
Created as a grassroots project focused on connecting our vibrant community, L.A.W.N. seeks to empower public art made by the people as a contribution to Springfield and the greater Greene County area’s sense of place and the built environment we all share.
All members of the community are encouraged to participate by creating a work of art using materials available at home: sculpture, chalk art, installation, etc. in front of their residence. This project is about expressing creativity, no matter the skill level. See L.A.W.N. Project Guide for details and ideas.
To register for L.A.W.N., fill out this Participation Form.
L.A.W.N. is founded and organized by Sculpture Walk Springfield, Springfield Art Museum, Missouri State University: Art + Design Department, and Greene County MU Extension Council.
April 1: Priority Registration
April 1 – April 19: Pick up your L.A.W.N. signs.
April 15: Participation Form due. Your form must be turned in by April 15 to be included in the map. (Late registrations are accepted and we will do our best to get your site on the map.)
April 15-21: Project Detail Form due to L.A.W.N. team.
April 22: Photos of the finished project due to L.A.W.N. Team. Submit photos here.
April 22 – May 7: L.A.W.N. Public Viewing
April 29: Kick-off celebration of Sculpture Walk Springfield’s 2023 collection. Celebration is 5-9 pm downtown in Robberson Alley. L.A.W.N. will be tabling this event. Stop by to celebrate our incredible Sponsor!
April 29: International Sculpture Day! Post photos on social media using #ISDay2023 and #LAWNSGF.
May 7: Official end of L.A.W.N. events.
May 8-13: Return L.A.W.N. signs. Location TBA.
The Rules: Dos and Don’ts
- Create works that are viewable from the street or sidewalk. We are not in control of the public, but what you make can encourage safe viewing options.
- Use materials that are NOT hazardous- i.e. sharp items, oil/gas, etc.
- Use materials that have a chance to survive a week during a variety of weather conditions. (i.e. chalk may wash away if not covered)
- If your artwork is no longer on view during the viewing window of time, contact firstname.lastname@example.org asap so we can update our map.
- Do not disrupt sidewalks – Allow for walking, wheelchairs, and strollers to continue to use the sidewalks.
- No hate speech or derogatory images.
- Do not use other people’s property without permission.
- Artwork created remains the property of the creator, and they are solely responsible for the artwork. Sculpture Walk Springfield, Springfield Art Museum, Greene County MU Extension Council, and Missouri State University hold no liability for damage or injury that occurs while creating or viewing art.
- Fill out the Participation Form by April 15 to be included on the L.A.W.N. map.
- Complete works and have them on display by 10 am on April 22.
- Attempt to keep work up and on view through May 7.
- Share L.A.W.N. with your friends and neighbors! How many people can you get to participate?
- Return L.A.W.N. signs to designated signage drop off point May 8 – 13. Location TBA.